Unlike an art book, catalog or monograph that tend to showcase artworks created in another medium, the term ‘artists’ books’ refers to publications that have been conceived as artworks in their own right.
This three day master class led by Claudia de la Torre (artist and director of the publishing house backbonebooks) is for any creative person that wants to explore the field of artist books and transform an idea into a tangible dummy. The workshop will take a closer look at the more practical and conceptual aspects of bookmaking. Focusing on design, editing, sequencing and the importance of materials in the production of books. The goal of the workshop is to go home with a finished artist book model.
What to expect
- Introduction to the basics of bookmaking
- Basic bookbinding techniques and material
- Personalized coaching
- Hands on approach
- A relaxed atmosphere
- One finished dummy
What to bring
- An idea to work on! Printed or collected material that you want to work with (images, newspaper clippings, magazines, texts, etc.) Ruler, cutter or scalpel, pencil, scissors, cutting matt computer and USB stick.
- Basic knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is recommended, but not a must
- Any special paper you want to us
- Something to eat in the break
For whom is the workshop?
For any creative person who wants to turn an idea into a book.
The class will be held in English. The teacher can occasionally translate into German or Spanish.
Feedback zum Kurs
“...I liked that it was a workshop. Claudia gave us examples and information, tools and her experience. I could work very concentrated. On something real." Antoanetta
“With Claudia you will get the whole package. Inspiration and new ways of thinking, patience within every step and love for all of your thoughts and ideas. You will not be disappointed! I ended up with stunning work that I’m really proud of.” Marie